Button batteries
 
By Member Darrell Fisher
March 18, 2015
 

Button batteries are dangerous to kids, especially toddlers, and cause severe injuries when swallowed.


Did You Know

The coin-sized batteries children swallow come from many devices, most often mini remote controls. Other places you may them are: singing greeting cards, watches, bathroom scales, and flameless candles.
It takes as little as two hours to cause severe burns once a coin-sized lithium battery has been s wallowed.
Once burning begins, damage can continue even after the battery is removed.
Kids can still breathe with the coin lithium battery in their throat. It may not be obvious at first that something is wrong.
Repairing the damage is painful and can require multiple surgeries.
The batteries can become lodged in the throat, burning the esophogus.

In 2010 alone, more than 3,400 swallowing cases were reported in the U.S. 19 children sustained life-threatening or debilitating injuries and others died!

Keeping Your Kids Safe
Electronic devices are part of daily life. It only takes a second for your toddler to get hold of one and put in his mouth. Here are a few easy tips for you to follow to protect your kids from button battery-related injuries.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=f_ahFOv4BMw


Top Tips for Battery Safety

>SEARCH your home, and any place your child goes, for gadgets that may contain coin lithium batteries.

>SECURE coin lithium battery-controlled devices out of sight and reach of children and keep loose batteries locked away.

>SHARE this life-saving information with caregivers, friends, family members and sitters.

In Case of Emergency

Keeping these batteries out of reach and secured in devices is key, but if a child swallows a battery, parents and caregivers should follow these steps:

>Go to the emergency room immediately.

>Tell doctors and nurses that your child may have swallowed a battery. If possible, provide the medical team with the identification number found on the battery's package.

>Do not let the child eat or drink until a chest x-ray can determine if a battery is present.

>Do not induce vomiting.

Call the National Battery Ingestion Hotline at 202-625-3333 for additional treatment information.

 
No Caption