Find us on Facebook

January 322
February 261
March 310
Apri 279
0 1172

Past Responses
2023 3636
2022 3633
2021 3628
2020 2747
2019 2750
2018 1804
2017 1844
2016 1753
Web Counters
Website Visitors
December 15, 2011
Visitors Today
Jun 12, 2024
Carbon Monoxide - The Silent Killer
Email Print RSS Facebook Twitter RSS

By Member Darrell Fisher
October 22, 2014

Creeping silently through your home, there's a killer that gives no warning. This killer is carbon monoxide. An invisible and odorless gas, carbon monoxide (CO) is produced when burning any fuel, such as gasoline, propane, natural gas, oil, wood, or charcoal. It is a silent killer, which causes illness by decreasing the amount of oxygen present in the body.

Young children are especially vulnerable to the effects of carbon monoxide, because of their smaller bodies. Children process carbon monoxide differently than adults, may be more severely affected by it, and may show symptoms sooner.

You won't know that you have a carbon monoxide leak, without a working detector. If you burn any fuels for heat or cooking, be sure that you have a working carbon monoxide detector and deter this silent killer.

Follow some simple safety tips to help protect your family.


Top Tips for Preventing Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Know the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.

The most common symptoms include headache, fatigue, nausea, vomiting, and confusion. In severe cases,the person may lose consciousness or die.
CO poisoning can often be mistaken for other illnesses, such as the flu.
Often, more than one person in the household will suffer symptoms at the same time.

To decrease risk of CO poisoning the following tips are recommended:

>Install a CO alarm outside every sleeping area and on every level of your home.

>Place CO alarms at least 15 feet away from every fuel-burning appliance to reduce the number of nuisance alarms.

>Test alarms every month and replace them every five years.

>Make sure alarms can be heard when you test them and practice an escape plan with your entire family.

>Have all gas, oil or coal burning appliances inspected by a technician every year to ensure they are working correctly and are properly ventilated.

>Never use a stove for heating.

>Do not use a grill, generator or camping stove inside your home, garage or near a window.

>Never leave a car, SUV, or motorcycle engine running inside a garage, even if the garage door is open.

>CO can accumulate anywhere in or around your boat, so install a CO alarm on your motorboat.

If your CO alarm goes off, follow these steps

>Get everyone out of the house as quickly as possible into fresh air.

>Then call for help from a neighbor's home or a cell phone outside of your home.

>If someone is experiencing CO poisoning symptoms, call 911 for medical attention.

>If no one is experiencing symptoms, call the fire department. They will let you know when it is safe to re-enter your home.

More about poison prevention

Add a Comment Add a Comment 0 Comment(s)

Website Designed and Hosted By: Content Proudly Maintained By: Contact Info:
Firehouse Solutions
New Holland Ambulance Association
101 East Franklin Street
New Holland, Pa 17557

Emergency Dial 911
Office: 717-354-6945
Station Fax: 717-354-4820
Copyright © 2024 Firehouse Solutions (A Service of Technology Reflections, Inc.)