Find us on Facebook

January 322
February 261
March 310
Apri 279
0 1172

Past Responses
2023 3636
2022 3633
2021 3628
2020 2747
2019 2750
2018 1804
2017 1844
2016 1753
Web Counters
Website Visitors
December 15, 2011
Visitors Today
Jun 13, 2024
Button batteries
Email Print RSS Facebook Twitter RSS

By Member Darrell Fisher
March 18, 2015

Button batteries are dangerous to kids, especially toddlers, and cause severe injuries when swallowed.

Did You Know

The coin-sized batteries children swallow come from many devices, most often mini remote controls. Other places you may them are: singing greeting cards, watches, bathroom scales, and flameless candles.
It takes as little as two hours to cause severe burns once a coin-sized lithium battery has been s wallowed.
Once burning begins, damage can continue even after the battery is removed.
Kids can still breathe with the coin lithium battery in their throat. It may not be obvious at first that something is wrong.
Repairing the damage is painful and can require multiple surgeries.
The batteries can become lodged in the throat, burning the esophogus.

In 2010 alone, more than 3,400 swallowing cases were reported in the U.S. 19 children sustained life-threatening or debilitating injuries and others died!

Keeping Your Kids Safe
Electronic devices are part of daily life. It only takes a second for your toddler to get hold of one and put in his mouth. Here are a few easy tips for you to follow to protect your kids from button battery-related injuries.

Top Tips for Battery Safety

>SEARCH your home, and any place your child goes, for gadgets that may contain coin lithium batteries.

>SECURE coin lithium battery-controlled devices out of sight and reach of children and keep loose batteries locked away.

>SHARE this life-saving information with caregivers, friends, family members and sitters.

In Case of Emergency

Keeping these batteries out of reach and secured in devices is key, but if a child swallows a battery, parents and caregivers should follow these steps:

>Go to the emergency room immediately.

>Tell doctors and nurses that your child may have swallowed a battery. If possible, provide the medical team with the identification number found on the battery's package.

>Do not let the child eat or drink until a chest x-ray can determine if a battery is present.

>Do not induce vomiting.

Call the National Battery Ingestion Hotline at 202-625-3333 for additional treatment information.

Add a Comment Add a Comment 0 Comment(s)

Website Designed and Hosted By: Content Proudly Maintained By: Contact Info:
Firehouse Solutions
New Holland Ambulance Association
101 East Franklin Street
New Holland, Pa 17557

Emergency Dial 911
Office: 717-354-6945
Station Fax: 717-354-4820
Copyright © 2024 Firehouse Solutions (A Service of Technology Reflections, Inc.)